- Economic Geography
- Spatial Econometrics
- Infrastructure and transport systems
- Development Economics
- The Belt and Road Initiative : Reshaping Economic Geography in Central Asia? Journal of Development Economics, Volume 144, 2020, with Mathilde Lebrand and Anthony Venables.
- The Brasília experiment: The heterogeneous impact of road access on spatial development in Brazil World Development, Volume 127, 2020, with Stéphane Straub. Discussed in El País.
- The efficiency of land-use in a developing city: traditional vs modern tenure systems in Kampala, Uganda Journal of Urban Economics, September 2020, with Anthony Venables. Audio of a presentation in March 2018 (in French).
- Toward Great Dhaka : A New Urban Development Paradigm Eastward, Directions in Development;. Washington, DC: World Bank 2018, with Yue Li, Hossain Zillur Rahman, Martin Rama, and Anthony J Venables (currently the most downloaded title on the World Bank's Open Knowledge Repository).
- Life in a slum : understanding living conditions in Nairobi's slums across time and space (2017) with Piero Montebruno and Tanner Regan Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Volume 33, Issue 3, 1 July 2017, Pages 496–520
- Growing a developing city: A Computable Spatial General Equilibrium Model Applied to Dhaka, World Bank Policy Research Working Paper No. 8762 (2019) with Anthony Venables
Work in Progress
Work in Progress
- The size of developing cities: understanding urban growth with Paul Brandily (PSE)
- Do African cities really sprawl? with Paul Brandily (PSE)
- Who lives where? Population distribution in developing cities with Anthony Venables
- Understanding urban rents, wages, prices and commuting patterns in Kampala with Simon Franklin (Queen Mary London) and Astrid Haas (IGC), supported by an IGC research grant